Prior to 1957 Moravian Falls and surrounding communities were provided fire protection coverage by the North Wilkesboro Fire Department. Due to changes in insurance laws the North Wilkesboro fire Department was prohibited from going outside of the city limits and fire protection to other areas was withdrawn. Realizing the seriousness of the situation approximately 50 citizens of Moravian Falls, Oakwood, Brushy Mountain, Pores Knob and Boomer communities met at the Moravian Falls school in December 1957 to discuss ways and means of securing fire protection.
In January 1958 a meeting was held for the purpose of the organization of the fire department, and to purchase the necessary firefighting equipment. At that time $2000 was pledged to be paid in six months and to be applied for the purchase of a firetruck.
A goal of $15,000 was decided upon for being adequate to build a building to house the newly formed department. At that time a 1958 GMC fire truck equipped with an American LaFrance body, siren, and directional lights to cost no more than $9000 was ordered.
Land had been donated next to the Scroggs and Company store by Henry C Hubbard Sr. and James O Hubbard. In addition, a second truck was donated that had been converted into a tanker truck.
Since that time the Moravian Falls fire district has updated and purchased some of the newest equipment the county has to offer.
We currently house 3 fire engines each carrying 1000 gallons of water, one 3000-gallon tanker truck, a utility service vehicle, a quick attack mini pumper, and a brush truck used primarily for woods, grass and brush fires. In July of 2019 plans were made for the original 1958 GMC fire truck to be restored to original condition.
In keeping with our mission to provide emergency medical care the first responder program was begun in June 1985. The pilot program was started in Wilkes County due to the high number of heart attacks and the distance EMS had to travel to reach patients. The first responder goal is to provide trained personnel to be on the scene of an emergency medical situation within four minutes. Since its inception in 1985 the first responder program is now implemented state-wide. Wilkes County provides countywide emergency
medical services to all, this has helped cut down on response times and getting people a higher level of care.
In the late 80s rapid growth of both firefighting personal and firefighting equipment needs made it necessary to consider expanding the fire house. A building committee was appointed in 1994 with the purpose of establishing construction plans for building a new firehouse, land was purchased at the intersection of Brocktown Road and North Carolina Highway 18, construction was started in July 1995 and the building was completed in 1996 The official dedication of the new firehouse was set for September 27, 1997.
The Moravian Falls fire district is responsible for fire protection for a number of homes, large church buildings, and retail stores. In addition, three different schools, Moravian Falls Elementary School, Central Wilkes Middle School, and Wilkes Central High School.
In 2018 we celebrated 60 years of service to the residents of Moravian Falls and surrounding communities. We look forward to another 60 years providing the best, most up to date fire protection services to our residents and neighbors.